Did you overdo it on Valentine’s chocolates and then vow to workout extra hard at the gym for the rest of the week? Good for you! But you’ll feel a lot better if you also make this smoothie. It will keep you fueled and energized, enhance the detoxifying properties of exercise and even relax your tired muscles! And did I mention it tastes like a pina colada? Here’s the breakdown of how this smoothie is great for post-workout and detox…in case you geek out on this stuff like it do.
- Fiber – keeps things moving as you flush out toxins. Kale & pineapple are loaded with it
- Sulfur – cruciferous vegetables like kale are high in this compound which provides essential support for your liver
- Antiviral/Antifungal – coconut oil has both of these properties which aid in detoxification
Energy & Hydration:
- Iron – for energy, oxygenation & liver function. Kale has more iron than beef!
- B Vitamins – found in pineapple & keep you energized
- Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs) – a specific type of fat in coconut oil that is immediately sent to your liver to use as energy & not stored as fat
- Electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, calcium & sodium) – coconut water contains the full range of electrolytes that you lose as you sweat & need to replenish for proper hydration
Muscle, Joint & Bone Recovery:
- Vitamins C & K – essential for bone, cartilage & joint health. Pineapple boasts a mega dose of vitamin C & kale has both C & K
- Bromelain – an enzyme in pineapple that when taken without protein acts as a muscle relaxant
- Manganese – an essential mineral for strengthening your bones found in kale & pineapple
- Vitamin C – aids in the production of collagen, the building block of your blood vessel walls, skin, organs & bones. Kale & pineapple are loaded with it!
Why add coconut oil?
In addition to it’s detoxifying & energy-boosting properties, vitamins A, D, E & K are fat-soluble which mean that you need the healthy fats found in coconut oil in order for your body to absorb them.
Recipe: Kale, Pineapple & Coconut Smoothie
Makes appx 3 cups
2 c kale, ribs removed (preferably organic as it’s on the Dirty Dozen Plus list)
1 c frozen pineapple (no need to buy organic as it’s on the Clean Fifteen list)
1 c coconut water (make sure it’s 100% coconut water – no aded sugar!)
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/2″ knob of ginger (great for digestion)
1/2″ knob of turmeric (great for inflammation)
In a blender, combine kale, pineapple, coconut water & coconut oil. Puree until smooth and no green bits of kale are remaining.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled so you’ll have it on hand for your daily penance…I mean workout! Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Shake well before drinking.